Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Food and Wine....

Best of Series.

Like many of the weeklies in our fair country. I am going to have my own version of "Best of" series. Where I pinpoint what I think is the best of the best in San Francisco. I mean I am no professional food critic but I do enjoy food. Also since I am not doing any fine dining for the most part. Many of you will find quite reasonable finds in my "Best of" series. This is hopefully 1 of many.

Best Hummus and falafel
Ali Babas Cave
799 Valencia @19th St.415-863-3054
CC accepted
Open daily 11-11


I would like to say that I am very picky about both of these things. I especially hate substandard Hummus. I went to a Hippie School where I could not go to a pot luck with out having a mound of the grainy goo. The Felafal I first had was eqallally, Dry, dens tasteless balls of sand. But God forbid you say any thing bad about it. It wasn't until I moved to DC that I actually had the good stuff.

The Hummus and falafel is stunning. I first went there with my friend Amy, the one who is about to give birth. Well some time, soon, very soon. I went there yesterday. And I had forgotten how good it is.

I heard a review of this restaurant where they said that if you can get over the dinginess of the kitchen area and the rude help, then you will be rewarded by the tasty food. I think that this is a fair description. The dinginess of the kitchen does not bother me too much. I love dives, the rude help, I can also get over. Having been someone who has worked in the food service business, I understand why one would be rude, especially if you work at a place that is cheap and open late, and services many of the stoned hipsters that hang out in the joint.

I think there is a certain charm to the place. Despite the fact that the kitchen, which is in full view a bit dingy, the dining area is nice. Most of it is pretty simple. Tables and chairs and nice pictures on the walls. Plenty of free copies of the Guardian and the Onion to go around. In the corner they have one table that sits low to the ground and is surrounded by taptestries and pillows. It seems like the kind of place where you can have an inexpensive, yet romantic date.


I should say that that the food really is yummy. I have had many things from their menu. The falafel is so yummy, you understand why Bill O'Reilly has a fetish for it. The and the Hummus , the Hummus is perfact. If you get a platter, It is a lot of food, be warned because you might want to do what I do and make several meals out of it. The sandwiches are very good to but be forewarned it is a lot of food. They are made with Flat bread and are sort of like middle eastern brutish. I do have to say it is a bit odd that they put french fries in their sandwiches. They have really good fries, but its still odd. It reminds me of the Americain Sandwich in France, which is a hamburger patty on a baguette with french fries on it. They also have Kabobs, which are good, but I have not once ordered it without getting a resentful, that will be 15 minutes from whichever counter person is there( I said they were sort of rude). But any way, I suggest checking it out if you are in the Mission, and if you are hankering for something cheap and healthy or perhaps something different from a burrito.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home