Friday, December 09, 2005

FOOD AND WINE SECTION:

I have decided to have a food and wine section of the blog in honor of my favorite section of any newspaper. This will consist of many things. Today I will be giving you a $5. lunch review. This comes from the idea, that people like my self who are on a budget are always looking for $5. Lunches that are not things like Mc Donalds Value meals.

Today I will be reviewing a $5. Meal I had at Yank Sing 2 Go. The take out section of the Yank Sing restaurant, which specializes in Dim Sum.

Meal:
Large Shrimp wanton Soup.
1 Spring Roll
Price: $4.97

Where: Yank Sing 2 Go
Rincon Center
(Embarcadero)

Okay I have to say this I have had many a Won Ton Soup in my day, but none of them even compare to the soup I had today. I was pretty skeptical of what it might be like. I am sure we all have had the Won Ton soup that was nothing wo write home about. You know the kind, the salty, but otherwise tasteless cloudy broth ( that looks like it from a mix) and the won ton itself, a rubbery piece of pasta, with some strange meat inside of it. I mean I have won ton soup in so many different parts of this country and with very few exceptions it is about the same.

Getting back to this soup. It was absolutely stunning. The Broth is breathtaking light and clear. It was seasoned with a few slices of green onions, that were put in right before it was served so they had a little bit of a crunch to them. The Broth it self was worth the $3.50. But It was filled also with these wontons. My My My. These Wontons were a delight. They were less lie the typical Wontons and more like Dumplings (which is what they specialize in after all). They are filled with shrimp, and not with crappy flash frozen shrimp. (I am from South Carolina, I am very picky about shrimp) FRESH Shrimp. As my God(dess) son says "mmmmmmmmmm"

Yank Sing 2 Go has many of their Dim Sum Items available separately . Today I chose the spring rolls, which are wonderful. They have chicken in them and are fried perfectly, so that they crunch, but you don't feel like you are going to have a heart attack afterwards.

All in All. A great $5 lunch. Yank Sing 2 Go has many pre-made meals that are also good. Most of them are more than the $5. range. But you can order the Dim Sum separately. If you wanted a nice $5. Meal, there are many of options on the Dim Sum menu.

SO my first 5 dollar lunch review. Look for more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home