Saturday, January 27, 2007

Its been a while and the Guilford Incident

I first want to apologize for not posting recently. Between a social life and new job and school, I have been busy.

I do feel that I need to talk about something that has been weighing on my mind lately.

I am sure some of you have heard about the alleged racial incident that happened on the campus of my alma mater, Guilford College. You can read about it here. If you have not heard about it.

I have many thoughts about this.

First, I am so disturbed that this would happen at all, let alone at Guilford (which is a place where the values of equality, tolerance, and nonviolence are essential to the community) . It is a place that I hold in very high esteem, I know that many other alums feel the same way. I think for many of us, Guilford goes beyond a place where we parked our butts, smoked pot, drank beer for four years. It is a place that challenges people to live up to the values of which the school was founded. The word community is not a buzzword there, it is something that students, teachers, staff, and administrators struggle to achieve. Knowing this, I do think that the incident takes on a different magnitude for those of us who have experienced this world.

I feel for all involved. In this situation. I was a student with high ideals at one point, I can imagine that this is a trying time. I am holding all of them in the light.

I do also know that some of the tensions that have been mentioned in news between althletes and the rest of campus, were issues when I was there as well. I also know, that Bryan quad, where the incident took place, has always been a heavy party area, and midnight on a saturday night is often pretty nuts. But despite these factors, the alleged language and behavior is unaccptable for any reason.

This incident along with others, makes me wonder if this is indicative of trends that are happening in our society. Trends that I find really disturbing. I know that the guilford community will take this as a learning opportunity and will grow stronger because of it. I only hope that the world out side of Guilford can learn to reject this kind of behavior and embrace tolerance.

I have to say this, I do feel that the Guilford Administration, has been very open and fair in its approach this terrible situation. I do trust that they will treat all parties with respect, and that the Judicial Board will give a fair hearing to all of those involved in the situation. I only hope that FBI and Greensboro Police, will conduct an investigation that will be just.

Here are several articles on this incident, if you are interested.

Guilfordian (Student Newspaper)

NYTIMES

AP

Greensboro News and Record:


http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070126/NEWSREC0101/7012601President

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070127/NEWSREC0101/301270012

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070128/NEWSREC010201/701280318/1015

Chabotar’s Remarks at the Jan. 24 Open Forum

College Response of Jan. 23


CNN

Christian Science Monitor


I am hoping, or attempting,to update the articles, since I am following this.


g

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home