Monday, April 03, 2006

Save Source Theatre

Sign the petition!!!!

I know this has been out for a while. But I am slow to act some times on when it comes to stuff back in DC. I cant tell you how many hours I have put in there and how many times I have nearly killed my self from the scary electrical system that was often in several inches of water or the decrepid back stage stairs. But I love that place and It really gave me my start in Theatre. Many other people have as well, it is a very special place for that reason.

To give you folks a quick run down on what has happened here, as well as I know it.

Over the past 10 years or so Source has fallen on to hard times. Its a pretty long story but they really have not produced a full season since 2001 or so. They were having serious financial difficulties and were renting out their space to local smaller companies who needed a home for thier productions. It was great because they provided a low cost space, to struggling theatre companie. In many ways source was filling a void that needed to be filled even when the company fell on hard times.

About the time that I left DC, Source Theatre went completly Dark. It had been poorly run for some time, they were having IRS difficulties as well as some other internal problems ( I actually know more about this, I wont discuss it online, but if you want to take me to Tosca and get me drunk off of Grasshoppers, I am sure that I will spill the beans)

The space eventually opened back up and small companies have been using that space since then.

In the past few months, the company that owns Bedrock Billiards, has made a bid to buy the place, The Source Board agreed on the sale. Recently, the DC govenment, who holds the mortgage on the place has gotten involved to help create a compromise between pool hall and theatre. So its important to continue to sign the petition.

Not that I am not happy to see U Street really comming along. When I first moved there and was working at Source, that neighborhood was scary. Now its really cool. It has long been one of my favorite parts of the city. But I do think that the Arts are just as important as commerce and they need to be a part of a community.

Anyway sign it...you know you have nothing better to do!!!!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/183514th/petition.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home